Friday, January 18, 2013

Thaired of Learning

DISCLAIMER: I wrote this while fevering so I think it makes sense but I'm not sure. Also still figuring out formatting. So I'm not gonna be able to post everyday but a couple Mardi Gras ago we came up with this rule where we couldn't have fun until we said 3 things we learned the day before so I decided I would write down at least three things I learned each day

Things I learned Jan 15
 We aren't allowed to travel in 3 most southern provinces because its too dangerous
 There are 77 provinces in Thailand
Our home stays will be in Si Prachan province
One of my fellow PCTs(Peace Corps Trainees) already dropped out for family reasons For YinD(Youth in Development) we have to be at intermediate language level while TCCS(I don't know what it stands for but its teaching) only has to be at a novice level. 
The Thai word for teacher is ahhjan
Sam Cole put in an offer on a house in portland, YAY!

Things I learned Jan 16
There's an aquarium with a bunch of sharks in Suphan Buri
Getting the flu shot actually gives me the flu. It's either the flu shot or the 26 hrs on a plane, new food, 3 other vaccinations, a totally different time zone, very little sleep, 90 degree weather AND the flu shot. Either way, I'm sick.
The deputy governor gets to wear a purple short sleeved collared shirt to work and it's not even casual friday.
Suphan Buri is a agricultural province and grows over 70 different kinds of rice.(I honestly didn't even know there were that many different kinds of rice.)

Things I learned Jan 17
Despite the fact that in portland I feel totally inept in the biking world, I'm a biking expert in the realm of PCTs. I'm super excited to bike in part because every things flat and bikini is one of the only ways to get a breeze. Also, just because I said that I will probably be the only one in the hills for my post.
Being sick and fevering in 90 degree weather is really unfun. I suppose this isn't something that I learned but I relearned it on a different level.
I'm gonna need a gallon of sunscreen and a gallon of bug spray every month here.
Remembering to bike on the 'wrong' side of the road is difficult.
Often the right of way laws or actually most traffic laws Thai people take a a suggestion as opposed to a law so basically you have to assess each situation individually. For instance the example that was used in class was if you are on the left side of the road on a bike and you have someone on a moto coming towards you(going the wrong way), you should move in(to the right and into the car lane) to avoid the moto.
There is no real repercussions for drivers who cause personal injury. One of our bike instructors was hit earlier this year by a 14 year old who was being taught by his dad how to drive. He had to go to the hospital and stuff and in the end the only thing that happened was they paid for part of his medical bills but there were no legal repercussions.

Things I learned Jan 18
The seaweed they have in the 7-11 (oh yeah, I forget when I learned that they have 7-11s but they do and they are everywhere) is seasoned so its sweet. Its interesting.
Apparently I miss little big burger because I had a dream about their fries.
Its pretty difficult to try to activate a phone and top up and buy a charger when you know very little Thai.
A lot of the orange juice they sell at the corner store is actually more like Hi C or Sunny D
One of my fellow PCTs was a photographer in the army for 20 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment