These are the inner ramblings, sometimes meaningful notes but mostly the silly stupid stories of my Peace Corps experience in Thailand. Also, poop and things I learned.
Monday, January 14, 2013
Be Gentle It's My First Thai
Jan 14 2013
So I landed!!! Yay! Our flight out of San Fran was delayed for about an hour and a half, only after we were all on the plane of course. Also this was the biggest plane I've ever seen. It's one of those new ones that United has and it's HUGE. Anyway we still made our connecting flight in Japan and really it just made us have a shorter layover there which was good. Then we arrived in Bangkok at midnight bangkok time on Monday morning(9am Sunday Morning PDX time) and after customs and everything and the drive to Suphan Buri we didn't get to the hotel until around 4am(1pmPDX) and we were told to go to sleep because breakfast was at 8 AM. Peace Corps doesn't screw around but amazingly I feel fantastic, I can't decide if its because I'm running on fumes or because I'm acclimated but I'm thinking its a bit of both
So about my peers: everyone's super cool and interesting here. Most people have comparable travel experience maybe less. There are a couple of people who have been to Thailand before but it seems most people haven't been to SE Asia so I feel like I have a leg up on the customs and transitioning. Everybody is way cooler than I had made myself think(which I knew was gonna be the case but I had to trick myself anyway). Our ages range from about 22 to 75 but I would say the average age is about 28. Mostly girls but more dudes that I was originally expecting. There are a couple of married couples which I think will and interesting experience for both them and to witness their experience. We had our first day of Pre Service Training from 10-4:30 today and it was full of lots of info and paperwork and a couple vaccinations(Jap Encef and Rabies, mom I know you're happy) and some language. So dog bites are apparently such an issue that that was our first vaccination that they decided to give us. Apparently after all the worrying that everyone did for wardrobe we still didn't actually get it right. I'm okay on wardrobe but they said I shouldn't wear my bright skirts until everyone already gets to know me and respects me. Poop. Oh well. Also, the food is already pretty spicy for me but it's good because it's making me drink more water and between the heat and the plane rides and everything I need as much water as I can get. On that note: my feet are the size of fricken watermelons. I feel like my feet just got injected with cologin Seriously. I tried to do a lunge this morning and I couldn't because my back ankle's skin hurt to much to bend like that. It's disgusting. I'll leave you with a picture of my gross fat feet and we'll talk again soon.
Sawatdii Ka (Goodbye!)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I MISS YOU ALREADY SRSLY NOT COOL. I went to the Rose Garden this afternoon to visit a friend--oh wait you met Joel--I went to visit Joel loading in Lady Gaga's chain motors and I wanted to call you but I could not. Not cool. But I'm glad to know you made it fine, ankles and skirts aside. Love! KN
ReplyDelete